Glenview Illinois History
Below are excerpts from Glenview 75, 1899 - 1974, published by the Glen View Area Historical Society. The museum captures a significant piece of village history and preserves the stories of the men and women who served at the Naval Air Station at Glenviews. Since the park acquired the Grove, several significant improvements have been made to improve its ability to tell the story of its human and natural history. In addition, the museum has captured much of GlenView's early history as a naval base in the early 20th century by preserving a collection of photos and artifacts from the Navy and Air Force, as well as the lives of some of these men, women and their families who served at Naval and Air Force stations in Glenview. It has also captured important pieces of the history of our village, keeping a number of photos and relics of both the Naval Air Station and the men and women who served there.
The grove is registered on the National Register of Historic Places and was designated a National Historic Landmark by the U.S. Department of the Interior in 1976. In 1976, the grove was designated a National Historic Landmark by the US National Park Service (NPS). The grove is also a listed monument and is also on the National Register of Historic Places in Illinois, Illinois State Park and the State of Illinois. The grove is designated as part of the National Park System and National Park Systems for National Monument Protection.
The grove is registered on the National Register of Historic Places and was designated a National Historic Landmark by the U.S. Department of the Interior in 1976. Glenview Country includes Cook County's Forest Preserve, which spans much of Cook County Illinois. The 82-acre Kennicotts Nature Reserve, named after the Grove and located at the southeast corner of Lake Street and North Chicago Avenue, is a National Historic Site and a National Monument of the US Forest Service.
Before white men entered the country, it was populated by gangs now called Sioux, Cherokee, and Iroquois. Over time, other Indian tribes migrated to the area, such as the Potawatomi, who settled in what is now called Northfield Township. The American Indians in the northwestern and southeastern territories were confined to the Indian territory of what is now Oklahoma, while the Kiowa, Comanche, and Native American tribes shared territories in the southern plains.
South and Northfield became easily accessible to Chicago, providing convenient access between the city and the Chicago area and other parts of the state. Historically, the conversion was suitable for farms, as Wagner was once a truck company that produced grain in large quantities for the Chicago area. This gave him land in the area with good access to water, electricity and a good water supply for his farm and his family's farmhouse. Because of its proximity to the Illinois River and Chicago's water supply, it was also historically suitable for agriculture. And it was historically suitable for farming, giving him a road to his land and an open road from the river.
The stagecoach, which was traveling between Chicago and Milwaukee, stopped at Glenview on its way from Chicago to Milwaukee. POWs worked at the Naval Air Station Glen View, including a contingent that is said to have helped build the Naval Chapel, now owned by the Glenview Park District and located in Glen.
You'll find plenty of history in the history of the two venues that have been in Glenview for decades. He has written dozens of compilations and interviews on various topics and published the history of three small towns. His work is the "History of Two Towns," and you can find it in his book "Glenview, Illinois: A History of Three Towns" on his website.
Also on Route 21 in Northbrook is the Oakwood Cemetery in Northfield, where more than 1,000 Chicago Indians and their families, including many of their children and grandchildren, are buried. The Indians gave up their last five million hectares, abandoning their claim to northern Illinois. The Grove, as it is called, was once owned by the renowned horticulturalist and professor of Illinois State University William H. Smith. When a developer tried to buy the land in the 1970s, it became a National Historic Landmark.
In May 1933, FDR approved eight CCC projects in Illinois, one of which was the Skokie Marsh Project. The project was supported by the US Army Corps of Engineers and the Illinois Department of Natural Resources.
The Grove Committee became the Grove Heritage Association in 1933, the same year Grove was named a National Historic Landmark. The first targets were achieved in 1934, with the completion of the Skokie Marsh Project in 1935 and the construction of a new Grove Park in 1936.
In the 1890s, members of the Schwedenborgian Church bought Clavey Farm, which was located on the east side of Glenview at the intersection of North Avenue and South Avenue. Ten years later, John and Catherine bought their first house in Grove Park and bought a second, Old Grove House, on North Ave. Ten years earlier, with the purchase of a third house on South Ave., and the purchase of a fourth house on East Ave. , in front of her house. Ten years later, John and Mary Ann and their son Joseph buy their second home, an old grovehouse, on North and North Avenue.